SPI now able to accept donations via check from Canada

Branden Robinson branden at spi-inc.org
Fri Feb 18 17:40:53 UTC 2005

Software in the Public Interest, Inc., is happy to report progress on a front
that has long caused frustration for us and some of our donors.

Thanks to our change of banks in December 2004, SPI is pleased to announce that
we can now accept donations via checks drawn on Canadian banks (in Canadian
dollars).  Our bank forwards these items to a U.S. Federal Reserve[1] bank for
processing.  It may therefore take a little longer than SPI's usual check
processing time for you to see a withdrawal from your account.  (We are
informed that the U.S. Federal Reserve cannot process all such items; if this
happens, the deposit will be reversed, and you will likely never see the
withdrawal -- please provide a contact e-mail address with your check so that
we can notify you if this happens with your donation.)  SPI is *not* registered
with the CCRA[2], in part because our organization lacks any legal presence in
Canada.  Your donation therefore will likely not be tax-deductible for you
unless one of a very few exceptions apply.  Regardless, we and our member
organizations greatly appreciate any donation you elect to make.

The SPI donations page on our website[3] is being updated with the above
information.

[1] http://www.federalreserve.gov/
[2] http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/
[3] http://www.spi-inc.org/donations