Madwifi.org joins Software in the Public Interest, Inc as Associated Project

Neil McGovern neilm at spi-inc.org
Wed Feb 6 09:13:12 UTC 2008

madwifi.org and Software in the Public Interest (SPI) are pleased to
announce an agreement to place madwifi.org under the SPI umbrella as a
member project

madwifi.org joins such estemed projects as the Debian, PostgreSQL and
OpenOffice.org.

Michael Renzman, madwifi.org administrator said:
"
During the past three years our project has considerably grown. We
started with just two developers back in 2005, now we count more than
twenty members. MadWifi has become one of the most advanced WLAN drivers
available for Linux today. Work on its successor - ath5k - has been
started in 2007, and the new driver matures quickly.

The project has now reached a point where its further growth demands the
backing of a corporate entity which can help with things like accepting
and handling donations. SPI's offer to take care of all the
administrative work is a great relief, as this allows us to stay focused
on our development work. We are excited to join SPI as associated
project and look forward to a close collaboration.
"

~~ About SPI ~~~
SPI was incorporated as a non-profit organization on June 16, 1997 in
the state of New York. Since then, it has become an umbrella
organization for projects from the community.

In 1999, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the United States
government determined that under section 501 (a) of the Internal Revenue
Code SPI qualifies for 501 (c) (3) (non-profit organization) status
under section 509 (a) (1) and 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi). This means that all
donations made to SPI and its supported projects are tax deductible for
donors in the United States.

~~~ About madwifi.org ~~~
madwifi.org is a team of voluntary developers who provide Linux drivers
for WLAN devices based on Atheros chipsets, namely MadWifi and ath5k.

MadWifi is one of the most advanced WLAN drivers available for Linux
today. It is stable and has an established userbase. The driver itself
is open source but depends on the proprietary Hardware Abstraction Layer
(HAL) that is available in binary form only.

ath5k is a relatively new and emerging driver and does not depend on the
HAL. It is intended for inclusion into the mainline Linux kernel, exceed
MadWifi feature-wise and replace MadWifi in the long run.
--
Neil McGovern
Secretary, Software in the Public Interest, Inc.