Next step -- Deciding on output

David Graham cdlu at pkl.net
Thu Feb 6 03:17:27 UTC 2003

> OK, looks like there was no dissent on the draft agenda posted at
> http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-bylaws/2003/000011.html, or the
> voting procedures, so let's start moving forward.  I think we can use the
> vorting procedures spelled out there for now, with the added provision that
> all votes end after a maximum of four days.
>
> Our first task is to decide on our output -- what we are going to submit to
> the Board and the SPI membership at the conclusion of our committee.
>
> I suggest the following:
>
> 1. A proposal for bylaws amendments, detailing the changes we suggest or
> perhaps just listing the new document.

[...]

Or a series of proposals, separated so that they may be approved or
disapproved on an individual (or dependant-group) basis. This would allow
us to present some more controversial changes without jeapordising the
work of the committee. I think the rationale should be included with the
changes, including the comments from dissenters.

I'd suggest an output from the committee of a series of modifications to
the by-laws listed with the following information, something like:

Modification #5: article 10 paragraph 2:

New text:
[new text]

Old text:
[old text]

Dependencies:
[other changes that can only exist if this change is adopted]

Reasons pro:
[rationale]

Reasons con (if any):
[dissenters]

On a ballot it would look something like that plus "accept this change?
[y/n]"

We can generate an interim report with our identification of problems, and
our final report with the proposed solutions in a format like that above.
I think a preambled resolution is unnecessary.

David "cdlu" Graham 			cdlu at pkl.net
Guelph, Ontario			SMS: +1 519 760 1409