Identification of problems

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy at debian.org
Fri Feb 14 20:25:05 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:14:53PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 01:54:07PM -0600, srivasta at acm.org wrote:
> > 	Excuse me? What personal preferences? Are you seriously
> >  accusing me of usurping the committee for my iwn personal agenda?
>
> I rather think that he's trying to say that you are mistaken in
> believing that we should try to remedy all current problems with SPI's
> governance by bylaws amendments. Some can be dealt with through
> resolutions.

Sorry, I realized that I mischaracterized you above. I am sure you are
not trying to indicate that _all_ current problems with SPI's governance
should be dealt with through bylaws amendments, and I didn't mean to
suggest that John thought otherwise. I only meant to say that I
understood John to think (as do I) that we should restrict ourselves to
problems with the text of the bylaws themselves, except where another
problem is specifically due to the bylaws. For example, the meeting
schedule is set by resolution, and that can easily be changed without
any action on the part of this committee.

The email voting system can also be changed without any such action,
except that email voting as a whole is probably not authorized by the
bylaws. I think John may have been indicating that it might be a mistake
to specify that too much in the bylaws, but instead modify the bylaws so
that email voting does not violate them. That makes sense to me, too.

But, I'm getting off-topic already. I just wanted to correct my
mischaracterization, for which I apologize.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy at debian.org