#02: Recall of Board Members

David Graham cdlu at pkl.net
Tue Mar 11 20:33:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, John Goerzen wrote:
> [chairman hat on]
> Up for discussion:
>
> 02 Recall of board members (presumably by the membership)
>
>    The membership is not given a say in the removal of board members.
>
>    The membership should be able to recall board members or the entire board.
>    The membership committee's powers should be enumerated.
>
>    How does the ability to recall interact with the rule allowing the
>    presence of counsel?

When a member of parliament is recalled by his constituents - some
jurisdictions allow this - a bi-election is called. I think this is an
effective method that we can use for recalls, that is to say:

Step 0: One or more members of the board ceases to be active or otherwise
screws up.

Step 1: n% of membership signs a petition, votes, seconds a motion,
however we want to do it recalling one or more members of the board.

Step 2: a bi-election is held for the board seat(s) vacated by the recall.
If the impeached member wishes to contest this election, that board member
is free to be a candidate. That board member can then make his case (if
they haven't already on lists and discussions) as part of his campaign
platform.

Step 3: the winner of the bi-election joins the board.

The only situation in which counsel is needed is if the rest of the board
alleges misconduct, such as, for example, the treasurer siphening funds,
and attempts to internally remove the board member. The membership should
have the right to overrule an eviction of one of its members by the board.

David "cdlu" Graham 			cdlu at pkl.net
Guelph, Ontario			SMS: +1 519 760 1409