#03: Board meeting quorum issues

David Graham cdlu at pkl.net
Tue Mar 11 20:40:49 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, John Goerzen wrote:
> [chairman hat on]
> Up for discussion:
>
> 03 The board has been stymied often due to an inability to make
>    quorum, and not being empowered to make decisions in an offline
>    manner, failing quorum.
>
>    Quorum. 'nuff said.
>
>    If quorum has to be maintained, then proxy votes should be permitted.
>
>    Quorum should be "ditched outright", or its restrictions loosened.
>
>    Quorum is not problematic, but only if board members can be recalled.
>    A "leave" system where board members on vacation are not counted would
>    help.

In my opinion, quorum should be removed in favour of sufficient-notice
rules, so that the president or secretary can't call a meeting for three
minutes from now to pass an unpopular motion.

The reason I think quorum should be eliminated is that a board member who
is interested in the functionning of the organisation will make evey
attempt to attend meetings. If a resolution or a motion is passed that the
board member does not favour, that board member will learn not to miss
board meetings.

I believe board members should be allowed to appoint proxies to attend
board meetings on their behalf, with limits - such as you can only attend
25% of meetings by proxy and/or no individual can proxy for you more than
once.

I also believe that if a board member fails to attend a meeting for three
meetings without a proxy or regrets in one session (ie one
election-election period), that that board member should be removed
without a hearing, and have the recourse of the bi-election to appeal
their case.

As for making decisions outside of meeting, e-mail does constitute an
electronic media and the current by-laws, as I understand them, do allow
that. I don't see anything wrong with the e-mail voting system, as it
allows business to be conducted between meetings, as needed.

David "cdlu" Graham 			cdlu at pkl.net
Guelph, Ontario			SMS: +1 519 760 1409