#01: Election of board members by SPI membership

David Graham cdlu at pkl.net
Tue Mar 11 20:55:10 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> writes:
>
> > 01 Election of board members by SPI membership
>
> I think board members should be directly elected by the membership, and I
> would prefer that the board be split in 2 or 3 chunks each voted on in
> alternating years so that some continuity is maintained rather than electing
> all board members each year.

I disagree that board members should sit for more than one year at a time.
It allows a sense of complacency and non-accountability to set in. If a
board members wants to sit for multiple years, I think they should need to
seek re-election. A good board member will have no trouble winning
re-election and will be able to carry on as before.

However the option of splitting the election in two does work. It can be
done fairly simply - in January half the board is elected, and in July the
other half of the board is elected. The downside to elections _less_ than
once a year is the possible frequent change in officers, but again, an
officer who is performing will remain on the board as long as they seek
re-election.

I am not personally very fond of staggered elections.

David "cdlu" Graham 			cdlu at pkl.net
Guelph, Ontario			SMS: +1 519 760 1409