#02: Recall of Board Members

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Mar 12 18:50:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:27:37AM -0600, Taral wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:33:28PM -0500, David Graham wrote:
> We call it an interim or special election.
>
> > Step 1: n% of membership signs a petition, votes, seconds a motion,
> > however we want to do it recalling one or more members of the board.
>
> Usually a petition.

I think we can make the process simpler.  IMHO, simple is good.

Let's make a recall use the same mechanism as any other member-sponsored
resolution.  No need for a separate petition; if they can get it up for
vote, then go ahead.  I think we should make it have a 2/3 supermajority
requirement, though.

Alternatively, the board could expel one of their own by a 2/3 supermajority
of the board.

After someone is expelled from the board with either method, a new election
is called immediately to fill the vacant seat.  The expelled person *IS*
eligible to run as a candidate in that election.  This allows the membership
to overrule the board if so desired.  Or even to overrule themselves.  Heh.

So, it's defined in terms of existing procedures rather than requiring us to
enumerate separate election or petition procedures.  I like that.

-- John