#01: Election of board members by SPI membership

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Mar 26 15:03:11 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 09:11:57AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

[chairman hat on]
First, a question: Taral, are you still up to keeping a running account of
our new proposed bylaws?  No pressure either way; just checking.

Please let the Committee know immediately your comments on
this amendment.  This proposal has not heard any significant disagreement
yet.  We need to move forward, and so if there is no dissent heard within 48
hours, I'll assume it's agreed to.
[chairman hat off]

I propose the following amendment:

The second paragraph of Article 7 shall be removed.  In its place, insert
the following:

  Each seat on the Board of Directors, including those for officers, shall
  have a term of two years.  Seats for officers, excluding the secretary,
  shall be up for election once every two years starting in 2003.  Seats for
  the other members of the board shall be up for election once every two
  years starting in 2004.  Elections shall be held at the same time each
  year and are open to all contributing members.  Membership in the
  Organization is not a prerequisite for holding a seat on the Board.

  In years when an officer election is held, two questions shall appear
  on the ballot: a selection for president and a selection for treasurer.
  The second-place candidate in the selection for president shall be vice
  president.

  In years when an election for non-officer Board seats is held, one
  question shall appear on the ballot: selection of board members.  If
  x seats are up for election, then the top x candidates in the election
  will be appointed to the Board.

  After each annual election, the entire Board, including new members, shall
  pass a resolution appointing a secretary.  The Board may also pass a new
  resolution at any time selecting a new secretary.  The secretary selected
  must already be a non-officer member of the Board.

  No single person may run for more than one seat in any given election.

Additionally, from the second to the last paragraph in Article 7, this
sentence should be removed: "The Board of Directors shall select from one of
their number a Secretary."  This stipulation is already covered in the text
above.

Below is the non-legalese version of this proposal.