#03: Board meeting quorum issues

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon May 5 15:55:12 UTC 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 10:04:29PM -0400, David Graham wrote:
> Quorum is no less than 2/3 of the board for normal majority-voting
> functionning. However, 1/2 the board can hold a meeting if total concensus
> is reached for all decisions - ie no dissenting votes. This effectively
> gives all attending members a veto. It also reduces the risk of a member

I could support that if the 1/2 is rewritten to "greater than 1/2" -- that
is, if you have 12 board members, you'd have to have 7 to qualify under this
rather than 6.  If you have 13, 7 would still be the number.

> I also believe non-IRC meetings, ie email, telephone conference call, real
> life, whatever, should be explicitly authorised, subject to the same
> quorum rules as IRC meetings - ie they should not be differentiated. If
> 2/3 of the people participate in the email meeting, a majority is fine to
> make a decision. If 1/2 the board participates, they all have to agree.

It's pretty difficult to define a quorum for e-mail meetings.  The others
are real-time and are more easy to include under the existing systems.  Do
you have any ideas about that?

-- John