Meetings and Minutes and More

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jun 30 13:53:11 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:21:06AM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> - The current bylaws have an Article Six that specifies the order of
>   business of a meeting. Not that we follow it now, but should we change
>   this or eliminate it? It doesn't work very well with our new
>   definition of a meeting, and it requires certain things (such as
>   minutes being read) to be done at certain points in the meeting.

This is already present as item 32 on our list.

> - Are we going to require the board to keep minutes of meetings such as
>   email discussions? It seems implied by the above and by other
>   occurrences of the word "minutes" in the bylaws at various points. Are
>   these going to have to be made public? Also, the Treasurer's report
>   needs to be "physically affixed" to the minutes of the meeting in which
>   they happen. How are we going to adapt this to our electronic
>   meetings?

"physically affixed" is item 28 on our list.  The others might be able to be
handled under item 0A ("minutes of email meetings should be public").

> - We need to amend our board member election amendment to replace 2003
>   with 2004 and 2004 with 2005, unless we think we're going to finish up
>   really quickly.

I will draft a proposal for that; however, we should keep in mind that our
proposals to date will be released to the public on July 1.

> I know most of this is out of order and would have been allowable
> primarily in our identification of problems phase, but these are things
> that we are apparently going to be directly contradicting, rather than
> things that could simply be improved. Therefore, we should at least
> consider them.

If you take a look at the list and think that items 0A, 28, and 32 are more
important than the items ahead of them on the list, I have no problem
considering them first.

-- John