Next steps

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Dec 17 00:01:26 UTC 2003

John Goerzen writes ("Re: Next steps"):
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:57:37PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I think that what is needed now is a rewrite from the ground up.  Big
>
> I think that idea has some merit.  However, I am concerned that such
> drastic changes would have a tough time mustering enough consensus to
> pass a vote.  People will find their pet issue that is different in some
> way in the new bylaws, and vote no, despite the mountain of good that
> they accomplish.

Yes.  I had this with the DFSG when I tried to reform them.  People
didn't object to better codification, but making the situation clear
meant that all the people who currently thought it said what they
wanted became upset ...

> I think, therefore, that it is best to advance minimal, critical, and
> popular changes first.  Let's get the immediate problems fixed, then fix
> the rest.  That way, we get these important fixes accomplished faster,
> and we do not risk losing them as part of a less-popular massive rewrite

Absolutely.

> I'm not sure as to the legal status.  My guess is that officers are
> legally responsible for certain corporate actions.

My point is that I think we need to know the answers to these kinds of
questions - particularly the questions about US law - if we're going
to have bylaws that make sense.

Perhaps I should rephrase the questions and ask Chris Rourk.

> > * The section on Membership says that _all_ members have the right and
> >   responsibility of overseeing the board, etc.  This is not true.
> >   Only contributing members are empowered.
>
> I couldn't find the specific text you're referring to; where was it?

  ARTICLE THREE - MEMBERSHIP

    Membership in this organization shall be open to all who meet the
    approval of the membership committee.  Members have the right and
    responsibility of overseeing the board members, officers, and
    committees and ensuring that they operate in accordance with the
    goals and principles of the organization.  All board members,
    officers, and committees are ultimately responsible to the
    membership, and should act in accordance with its wishes.

Note the sentence `Members have the right ...'.

> I believe the general consensus is that "all chunks we have proposed are
> urgent".

I'll try to look at them in more detail and produce a list of detailed
comments.

Ian.