[PROPOSAL] Open Source certification

Lynn Winebarger owinebar at se232.math.indiana.edu
Sat Apr 10 18:19:15 UTC 1999

   Given this type of response, I must reiterate my suggestion that SPI
assert control over its mark, and (once the bylaws are sufficiently in
place) form a committee to deal with these issues.  Given the ongoing
discussion of the bylaws, I have to believe that such a committee would
deal with these issues in a far more appropriate manner, given that their
charter and leaders/members would be subject to the contributing member's
active review.  If you believe that the OpenSource mark serves as a
certification for open source developers that a given product is ok to
work on (i.e. you can have reasonable expectations about how your
contributed work can be used), then the idea that you would use the mark
on licenses that aren't there yet seems inappropriate (at least, when
there's no distinction between licenses under ongoing negotiations, and
licenses which really fit with the OSD - where those "levels" I mentioned
earlier on spi-general could come into play).

Lynn