APSL 1.1

Chip Salzenberg chip at perlsupport.com
Tue Apr 20 15:12:44 UTC 1999

According to Ben Pfaff:
> Chip Salzenberg <chip at perlsupport.com> writes:
> > Ben:
> > > 	[0] There is no distinction between bogus claims and
> > >             reasonable claims.
> > > 	[2] There is no guarantee that a court will ever be involved
> > >             or that it will make a judgment.
> > > 	[3] There is no guarantee that Apple will ever lift the
> > >             suspension.
> >
> > This pretty much matches the real world.  Again, all Apple is doing
> > here is spelling out what would otherwise have to be fought over, at
> > great expense of time, money, and PR.
>
> No.  Apple is taking the law into their own hands through 9.1.  They
> are saying that they are better qualified to judge claims than the
> courts.  Courts should be able to say ``you can't use that code
> anymore.''  The use of courts guarantees due process; Apple is not
> giving us any such guarantee here.  They can be entirely arbitrary.

This view doesn't allow for out-of-court settlements, which are often
the best way to resolve contentious issues quickly.

> > Mistrusting everyone who's passed a bar exam is silly.  Individuals
> > and pseudo-individuals like corportations should be trusted in varying
> > degrees according to their individual characters.
>
> I'm willing to trust the current people in charge at Apple, to some
> extent.  I'm not willing to give any trust to the people in charge
> there a year from now or 10 years from now.  A license like this
> doesn't give us any protection from them.

Perhaps you should consider just how much 'protection' you have with
alternative licenses.  It may be a lot less than you think.
--
Chip Salzenberg      - a.k.a. -      <chip at perlsupport.com>
      "When do you work?"   "Whenever I'm not busy."