Changes for the Bylaws

Nils Lohner lohner at icd.teradyne.com
Fri Jul 23 07:54:23 UTC 1999

In message <19990722111740.J4334 at darren.benham.net>, "Darren O. Benham"
writes:

>--9s922KAXlWjPfK/Q
>
>On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 02:19:39PM +0200, Nils Lohner wrote:
>> Any objections to changing that to something more appropriate like:
>> "At any regular or special meeting if a majority so requires, any questio=
>n=20
>> may be voted upon in the manner and style deemed appropriate by the=20
>secretary or chairman or [presiding person] of the meeting in that order."
>
>In other words, if it's a, say, board meeting and the secretary isn't
>there.. the chairman isn't there (BTW, the chairman doesn't have to be the
>president, but I would image SPI, it will probably always be), the person
>who's presiding over the meeting....

That's what I meant by chairman... the person presiding over the meeting.  I
guess that can be confusing though... maybe 'secretary of the organization
or chairman of the meeting' ??

>>  At all meetings, except for the election of officers and directors, all=
>> votes shall be viva voce, or electronically cast except that for election=
> of=20
>> officers ballots shall be provided and there shall not appear any place o=
>n=20
>> such ballot any mark or marking that might tend to indicate the person wh=
>o=20
>> cast such ballot.
>I still think this will be difficult... it will have to be paper pen,
>nothing electronic can meet the last sentence (not idicating...)

I would have thought that when releasing the results you just don't list the
votes (like for the debian logo).  Maybe we should add something to allow
for electronic voting then... I don't see us sending out real ballots
anytime soon :)

" At all meetings, except for the election of officers and directors, all
votes shall be viva voce, or electronically cast except that for election of
officers ballots shall be provided and there shall not appear any place on
such ballot any mark or marking that might tend to indicate the person who
cast such ballot.  If the ballots for the election of officers are cast
electronically, then the names of the people submitting ballots shall not be
used for any purpose, and shall not appear in the results of the voting."

Howzzat?

And  yes, I do hate how my mailer splits the lines...

Nils.