Bylaws Revision: VOTING[4]

Christoph Lameter christoph at lameter.com
Tue Jun 1 17:53:22 UTC 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Darren O. Benham wrote:

> > important issues, perhaps if a member fails to vote on (say) 80% of the
> > important votes they are downgraded...  Sounds harsh, though.  But
> > apathetic democracies are problematic, since issues usually then get
> > decided by the extremes, rather than any true majority.  But that way,
> > problems with meeting quorums would be somewhat self-correcting.
> Hmm... I wonder what others have to say.  Considering the opposition to
> expiring memberships... hmmmm

That is why I would suggest limiting the quorum for elections. We have not
had elections for awhile and people have been content with the appointment
of officers. The general feeling is to leave things alone if they are not
broke. And if things go smoothly in leadership I would expect low interest
by the developers in elections. Frequent required decisions by the
membership will lower interest even further.

As a model how to think about SPI: Think about it as a democracy. The BOD
is an elected body of the membership and on behalf of the membership
bestows powers on the officers and the committees.

Christoph Lameter (Diplom-Informatiker, Master of Divinity)