Bylaws Revision: VOTING[5]

Lynn Winebarger owinebar at indiana.edu
Sun Jun 6 09:19:13 UTC 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Nils Lohner wrote:
> - QUESTION: is a 35% quorum good enough, or should it go to 40%?
   Why don't we give it a test drive at 35 and see how it goes.  I would
suggest testing 40, but I worry that quorums would regularly be unmet,
votes would have to be retaken - not good for an organization that's just
starting up.

>  The quorum for a vote by the membership shall be set at 35% of eligible
> voters.  All votes (unless otherwise stated) are approved by a simple
> majority (>50%) being in favor of the issue in question.
    Just for safety, could you use "(unless otherwise stated herein)", to
make it clear this is not specifiable on a proposal by proposal basis.  I
know it sounds paranoid, but better to add a word I think.

> Resolutions
> -----------
>
>  Resolutions are voted on by the board of directors.  Resolutions may be put
> before the board for consideration.  If the board decides not to consider
> the issue, the membership may vote on the resolution.  The membership may
> also override a vote by the board by a 2/3 majority vote.

   Why so high for the override?

> Board appointments
> ------------------
> [this will go into the 'board' section of the bylaws, but its important to
> keep an eye on in the voting section]
> - the board members will (together with the membership committee) recommend
> candidates for the board of directors [still need to work on this]
    I would suggest some language about resignations here, regarding
temporary appointments when needed (say the number falls below the state
required minimum), and some sort of time limited phase of taking
nominations/volunteers for replacements.

> - the members will approve the appointments on the board of directors
> - removal of board members shall occur by a 2/3 vote of the members

Lynn