[evan@telly.org: Questions for ZDNet article]

Darren O. Benham gecko at benham.net
Thu Jun 10 19:50:25 UTC 1999

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 12:11:05PM -0500, Lynn Winebarger wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > You are not the only one who has this impression. There has been frequent
> > critique of the handling of the trademark issue. I never heard anything
> > about the patent office abandoning the trademarking of Open Source.
>
>    I was surprised by that as well.
I'd like to say I was, but I kinda saw it coming.  Bruce was holding the
paperwork and it seems he wanted to see it die...  The trademark issue
isn't *dead* per se, but SPI needs to get the bylaws finished so that it
has memebers to actually work on the tradmark thing.

>    But as long as we are talking about nothing getting done, I thought I'd
> mention there has been a minor update on the SPI home page.  Congrats to
> Nils and Darren on the respective statuses - or should I say "Thanks for
> volunteering for the dirty work." ;-)
Thank you :)

> > I sure will try to help as much as I can and I think SPI has a very
> > important role to play but it seems that we are stuck in
> > the mud right now and things fly by us.
> >
>     I hope that with the non-profit status now official, and the by-laws
> almost revised, SPI will start on to more tangible items.
That's the plan I understand.. get the by-laws so we can get the actual
members.