[evan@telly.org: Questions for ZDNet article]

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at debian.org
Thu Jun 17 21:59:47 UTC 1999

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 01:23:06AM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> It was unfortunate that his questions were sent at a time when both Nils
> and I were on vacation and Joey and Ian were tied up with real life issues
> :(
>
> Just thinking on my own, it might not be a bad idea if people friendly to
> Debian and SPI were to write letters of complaint to Mr. Leibovitch's
> employers explaining how the articles are unfounded and something along the
> lines of "...not reading a publication that spreads deliberate untruths..."
> or something along those lines.  Readers are the basis for advertising
> dollars which are the basis for income to any publication, print or
> electronic.

Yes well his article got written anyway didn't it?  His attitude was
snotty and further demonstrates his contempt for non-commercial Linux
organizations and distributions.  He outright lied about SPI and
obviously had not done his homeword on the legal front either when he
claimed that Open Source is "not even a (TM)"...  Um, Open Source IS in
fact a (TM)---it is not however an (R).

His article was pretty much more of the FUD-filled trash I have come to
expect from ZDnet.  And the same authoritarian contempt for the people
who make Linux and the Free Software movement what it is from a man who
doesn't get it, never will, but continues to pretend he does.

And lately I have been on a letter-writing spree...  Not just to
companies but to advertisers and more...  More than a couple of people
will be reading my opinions of Evan Leibovitch's editorials as well as my
opinions of their style of coverage of Linux in general.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at debian.org>            Debian GNU/Linux developer
* SynrG notes that the number of configuration questions to answer in