Software patents and Intellectual Property - obsolete

Ean R . Schuessler ean at novare.net
Tue Mar 9 17:40:49 UTC 1999

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 12:15:31AM -0800, Tor Slettnes wrote:
> As the software world is becoming more open, it seems more clear than
> ever that Intellectual Property law in the US, and in particular
> the ability to patent software algorithms, is a hindrance rather than
> an aid for future innovation.

I agree with these sentiments. I think that we can go much further than
writing our congress, however. I would like to see us assemble a class
action law suit against the federal government with the purpose of declaring
that the current U.S. Patent system violates the garaunteed right to
freedom of expression. Freedom of expression is arguably the most important
right granted in the constitution and intellectual property has become
a thinly veiled sham that grants corporations nearly absolute control
over the basic components from which new ideas are constructed. At the
current rate, in some short time it will become nearly impossible for
hobbyist programmers to practice their art without risking the violation
of some overly broad patent.

Is any effort similar to this idea under way?