[md: postfix license and opensource trade mark]

J.H.M. Dassen jdassen at wi.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Mar 14 10:54:18 UTC 1999

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 21:30:33 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> AFAIK IBM is marketing postfix (AKA "IBM Secure Mailer") as open source,
> even if there is a conflicting clause in the license.

I haven't followed the discussion of the PostFix license in detail, but I
think we should have clear answers to the following questions should be
answered before we contact IBM officially:
- The conflicting clause is the revocation in case of patent issues one,
  right?
- Does the clause actually violate the OSD, or is it an oversight in the
  OSD/DFSG? If it is the latter, is it fixed in the current DFSG revision
  proposal drafts?
- Is the issue with PostFix only, or is it with Jikes too?

> I think debian or SPI should officially complain:

SPI holds the Open Source cerficiation mark, not Debian. What Debian can do
is to take this issue into account in the next DFSG revision.

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking