Apple claims "Open Source" trademark

Marcelo E. Magallon mmagallo at efis.ucr.ac.cr
Wed Mar 17 23:22:53 UTC 1999

[I'm keeping the Cc: to the Apple people]

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 12:24:54PM -0800, Tor Slettnes wrote:

> If you read the press release,
>   http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CnU3LubWbu0zuvta4o&FQ=Linux&SymH
>
> you will see towards the bottom:
>   "Open Source is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc."

In good faith, I think that's a typo.  It actually reads:

  NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac OS, Power Macintosh and
  WebObjects are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. Open Source
  is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

I don't see a reason why "Apple Computer, Inc." should be mentioned twice.
It would be interesting to know what they intended to write there...
"Software in the Public Interest"?  I hope.

					Marcelo Magallon