Apple and Open Source

Jules Bean jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 14:20:41 UTC 1999

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I believe that if we can get Eric to stop calling it Open Source when it
>     ain't even close, we have a chance to convince Apple to play nice.
>
> IS Eric calling it "open source"?  Has the Open Source Initiative said
> anything yet about this license?  I would not expect them to endorse a
> license which does not give permission to distribute modified
> versions.
>
> I have sent mail to fetch a copy of the license so I can see what it
> says.

I'm afraid Eric is.

It says this in Apple's license FAQ.

Yesterday, SPI and Bruce Perens sent Apple a gentle open letter, welcoming
the move, but not proclaiming it OS.

http://perens.com/APSL.html

Today (at least, today in my personal time zone ;), Eric rebutted that, at

http://lwn.net/1999/0318/a/raymond.html

If I gather from the above that you don't have web access from where you
are, Richard, I'm happy to email you any/all of the above.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules at jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd	       |
|  Jules aka     | jules at debian.org              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |