[part 2] Article 3: Membership

Darren O. Benham gecko at debian.org
Thu Mar 25 05:29:45 UTC 1999

On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 11:07:05PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > > [somehow I'd like to phrase this into a good sentence.  Suggestions? :)]
> > I'm not totally sure what you're driving at... on the surface, it's obvious
> > that the membership controls the organization.. ultimatly.  Surely you are
> Well,  it'd be nice to make the distinction that "the _members_ control
> SPI",  not "the board controls SPI".  At the moment,  it is (on the
> surface) the other way around.
Except in the broadest terms, that's for a membership section of this
document.  It's spelled out, maybe in a section that defines the board or a
section that defines voting, *how* the board is controled...

> > > [where do we state the complete list of membership criteria?  Here?  In
> > > the charter for the membership committee?  What should the criteria be?]
> How about just like we do for Debian:
>
> 	A member must meet the criteria set forth by the Membership
> Committee acting on behalf of the Company.
>
> That way,  the membership requirements can be more flexible.  We could
> even set it up so that the membership committee,  in circumstances of
> extreme uncertainty,  can thus query the current membership and say "We're
> sitting on the fence.  Should 'Joe' be a member?"
That might work -- it'd be an interesting experiment -- but it's usually
good in the "entity" world (SPI is a legal entity/"person") to have atleast
*some* guidelines so the outside world can look on and see that all is well
(such as policies of non-discrimination, for example)