Bylwas Revision: COMMITTEES

Wichert Akkerman wichert at cs.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Mar 30 23:25:52 UTC 1999

Previously Nils Lohner wrote:
> - they should take care of most of the day to day operation of SPI
>   [this takes the workload off the BOD]

Basically they're delegates of the BOD, right?

> - their rights and responsibilities should be completely described in
> their charter

True. We should do that for Debian as well, but I'm not in a hurry
there since Debian already works fine.

> - the BOD should be able to issue charters (i.e. create committees)
>   [I'm thinking that if the consensus is that a new committee is needed,
> the BOD can issue a charter.  The membership should definitely have some
> input here though. how? By helping write the charter.]

Help writing the chapter and of course being able to revoke the creation
of a new committee via a vote.

> QUESTIONS:
> ----------
> - how are leaders appointed?  I'd say by the BOD, possibly the membership.

Have people from the membership volunteer and let the BOD make the final
choice I think.

> - how are members appointed?  BOD?  Leader?  Membership?

Another quite common option is to select a leader and let him choose the
rest of the committee if you're forming a new committee. If a current
leader is replace a new leader is chosen by the BOD and the current
committee, with advise from the leaving leader.

> - what do we do if a committee is no longer necessary?  disband it.  How?
> BOD vote?

I think a committee should have to disband itself.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma at cs.leidenuniv.nl