Bylwas Revision: COMMITTEES

Darren Benham gecko at benham.net
Wed Mar 31 00:20:32 UTC 1999

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 03:59:24PM -0800, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> How would the membership delegate those things? Election?
Err... I was just presenting contrasts...

> > In fact, any decision of the BOD or any committee should be overridable by
> > a vote of the membership.. but the process should be made troublesome
> > enough that every person with a hair on their pimple can't contest
> > everything.
>
> How about a petition scheme. If a petition is pgp signed by 10% of the
> membership then a vote will be taken which can override any decision of
> leadership?
I'd prefer a seconds approach, personally.  Maybe 10% of the body "seconds"
it... but 10% of the people have to sign?  100+ signatures on one document?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

> > Another possibility is to let the people volunteer for the committee and
> > let the committee choose the head....
>
> That depends on the situation I would think but we need to have some kind
> of governing structure that approves these things. Hopefully simple.
The BOD accepts and appoints the committee members... no approval necessary
for them choosing their own leader.