Bylaws revision status

Nils Lohner lohner at spi-inc.org
Thu May 27 17:58:53 UTC 1999

  This is a status mail for the bylaws revision just to let people know
what's been done and what's coming up.  I'm hoping to finish this up very
soon, at least for the really important parts.

ARTICLE ONE - ORGANIZATION
ARTICLE TWO - PURPOSE
  These two articles may never change, as they are from our Certificate of
Incorporation.

ARTICLE THREE - MEMBERSHIP
  This has been discussed and rewritten in spi-general already.

ARTICLE FOUR - MEETING
  Does not have any big problems, so this can stay as is for now.

ARTICLE FIVE - VOTING
  Currently under discussion,

ARTICLE SIX - ORDER OF BUSINESS
  Could add the positions of the people responsible for the various duties
here, but that's minor.

ARTICLE SEVEN - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
  Mostly OK, but need to clarify that the BOD should consist of 8-12
members, four of which shall be the officers.

ARTICLE EIGHT - OFFICERS
  Need to move the names of officers into an appendix so it can be changed
without a membership vote.  The rest is fine.

ARTICLE NINE - SALARIES
  No problems here :)

ARTICLE TEN - COMMITTEES
  This has been discussed and rewritten in spi-general already.

ARTICLE ELEVEN - DUES
  This is fine.

ARTICLE TWELVE - AMENDMENTS
  This is fine, but need to add that amendments tothe appendices only
require a 2/3 BOD approval, or something like that (i.e. if the BOD
membership changes or the officer positions change, a vote should not even
be needed to modify the appropriate appendix- this needs to be stated
somehow.)

 Possibly the voting procedures may end up in the appendix as well, and they
do need a vote to be chenged.

Maybe:
These bylaws may be altered, amended, repealed or added to by an affirmative
vote of not less than two-thirds of the members unless specifically stated
otherwise.

Nils.