Bylaws Revision: VOTING[4]

Ray Ontko rayo at ontko.com
Thu May 27 17:54:40 UTC 1999

Nils,

Removal of a board member is an extremely disruptive process,
and should not be undertaken by the board without the explicit
consent of the membership that elected it.  I think this allows
for a board that gives full and frank discussion to issues that
don't need to involve the entire membership, and it prevents a
board from factioning and booting an unpopular member.

I think board members should only be removable on a vote by the
membership.  This will allow board members to argue and take
on positions internally without letting personal disputes turn
into power plays.  If someone is behaving badly on the board,
in the board's unanimous opinion, it can take its case to the
membership, or let the member's term expire.

Ray