Bylaws Revision: VOTING[4]

Christoph Lameter christoph at lameter.com
Fri May 28 18:07:11 UTC 1999

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Nils Lohner wrote:

> - The voting procedures should be similar to a company and its stockholders
> or to a cooperative and its members

SPI is a nonprofit and thus the term stockholders does not
apply and might give a wrong impression.

> - The board of directors together with the committees run the organization.
> - the board of directors (and its committees) represent the membership and
> acts in accordance with its wishes.

Committees are appointed by the board right? Thus the board is the
representation of the membership and the committees are accountable to the
board.

> General
> -------
> - the quorum for a vote by the membership shall be set at 35% of eligible
> voters

What was the turnout at our elections? We might want to lower that
percentage. People might not be interested in the board as long as it runs
to their satisfaction.

> - the board members will (together with the membership committee) recommend
> candidates for the board of directors

Can members set up their own candidates for the BOD?

> - removal of board members shall occur by a 2/3 vote of the members or a 3/4
> vote of the board of directors
> [should this be higher for a BOD vote?]

Not sure about this one. I have some bad memories of the Debian board
being dismissed by leadership because they felt the board was not getting
things done. I'd rather not have the board be able to expell board
members.

Have you thought about guidelines for resignations? Resignations seem to
be quite common and it would be good to have some rules for these.

Christoph Lameter (Diplom-Informatiker, Master of Divinity)