Bylaws Revision: VOTING[4]

Lynn Winebarger owinebar at indiana.edu
Fri May 28 19:33:02 UTC 1999

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Darren O. Benham wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 11:07:11AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > SPI is a nonprofit and thus the term stockholders does not
> > apply and might give a wrong impression.
> What term would you use to convey the method of voting that SPI is trying
> to achieve?

    I thought the cooperative and its members model was pretty apt.

> Debian voter turn out for elections seems to be around 22-28% unless it's a
> major election.  For example, the leader election was about 50% (give or
> take).  Since the board is supposed to do most of the grunt work, if it's
> not of the same caliber of interest, more discussion needs to go into it or
> the propsal needs to be reconsidered.

   Interesting - what are the requirements for a Debian voting membership?
Here it seems the voting will be limited to contributing members, who may
(or may not) have a higher interest in participating.  And the model here
seems like it will be more like the committees do a good deal of the grunt
work.

Lynn
http://www.free-expression.org/