[DRAFT 3]: Charter for the Open Source Committee

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Nov 7 03:49:23 UTC 1999

Nils Lohner writes:
 > [- incorporated comments from Joey
 >  - slight reogranization for better continuity in preamble
 >
 > This is the proposal to establish a commttee in SPI to handle all things
 > related to teh OS mark.  This charter defines the powers and scope of the
 > committee, and the procedures by which it operates will be defined by the
 > committee itself and approved by the board of directors (see recent
 > resolutions and bylaws for details if interested).  Please comment if you
 > think that there are important things that need to be mentioned, otherwise,
 > please feel free to comment to the committee when the proposal is approved
 > and looking for input from teh community.

The DRAFT Resolution makes no mention of the Open Source Initiative.
I see this as a problem, given that I am a member of the board of OSI.

Our board has come to the conclusion that there *is* no Open Source
mark, so I am wondering exactly what this committee intends to
manage.  The DRAFT Resolution is extremely vague on this point.  Does
SPI intend to resume pursuit of an Open Source certification mark?  If
so, that's certainly one possible goal, but the DRAFT Resolution does
not say so.

 > The committee is hereby granted the power to develop communications and
 > marketing initiatives to raise industry and community awareness for open
 > software.

What is OSI, then?  Chopped liver?

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com