[DRAFT 3]: Charter for the Open Source Committee

Darren O. Benham gecko at benham.net
Sun Nov 7 04:09:35 UTC 1999

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 10:49:23PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> The DRAFT Resolution makes no mention of the Open Source Initiative.
> I see this as a problem, given that I am a member of the board of OSI.
SPI and OSI are seperate entities.. there is no reason for an SPI
resolution to make mention of OSI unless there was going to be some sort of
cooperative or other "business" with OSI.

> Our board has come to the conclusion that there *is* no Open Source
> mark, so I am wondering exactly what this committee intends to
> manage.  The DRAFT Resolution is extremely vague on this point.  Does
> SPI intend to resume pursuit of an Open Source certification mark?  If
> so, that's certainly one possible goal, but the DRAFT Resolution does
> not say so.

Setting the goals is one of the first tasks of the Committee... The
committee is basicly going to get the opinion of the Free Software/Open
Source community on just where the committee needs to be focusing it's
attention.

> What is OSI, then?  Chopped liver?

Let's face it.  OSI and SPI have not had the most cordial of relationships.
Furthermore, some of the board members and thier peers feel that OSI have
not acted appropriate (too closed) and/or made bad decisions (Apple, etc.).
I *do not* want this thread to turn into a bashing flamefest or any such.

I REPEAT - I do not want this to turn into a battle of any sort.  (And this
goes for my fellow board memebers and the other people that follow
-general).  If you really want to flame this out, tell me and I'll create a
special list just for you.

Now, there are members of OSI's board that hold the respect of SPI Board
members as individuals (Tim Sailor and Ian Murdock come to mind for me) so
there is always room for dialog.  This resolution, however, doesn't need to
take notice of OSI unless the Board want's to direct the committee to work
with (or against or specificly ignore or any other "business") OSI.

My $.02,
Darren