[DRAFT 3]: Charter for the Open Source Committee

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Nov 7 15:31:34 UTC 1999

Darren O. Benham writes:
 > On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 12:07:27AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > > Then I ask that SPI transfer the domain names open-?source.{org,net}
 > > to OSI.  If not, then why not?  There is no Open Source trademark, and
 > > SPI has no particular mandate from the 12/98 consultation to manage
 > > Open Source.  Historically, OSI has maintained the domain, and done so
 > > in a responsible manner (including changing the NS records on the
 > > domain on an emergency basis to maintain service, which action SPI
 > > reversed).
 > The dispensation of the domain name is another action for the committee to
 > consider...  Otherwise, we've been talking with Ian Murdock.  Who's the
 > official OSI contact for this matter?  You, him or some other person?

Ian has been handling it, but I had some questions of my own.  To wit:
Why has the domain name not already been transferred?  What is the
problem here, and why does SPI feel a unique responsibility for
solving that problem?  Perhaps a problem exists, but it's *our*
responsibility for fixing it, in which case why is SPI retaining
control?

 > > Tim Sailer has not been on the board since 13 Mar 99.
 > So?  He still has my respect.

So ... he's not on the board anymore.  What other misconceptions may
yet lurk?

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com