[DRAFT 3]: Charter for the Open Source Committee

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Nov 9 04:44:23 UTC 1999

Lynn Winebarger writes:
 > On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >  We're the ones who figured out
 > > that "Open Source" isn't protectable.
 >     You're the ones who decided "Open Source" isn't protectable.  Whether
 > or not it is is another matter.

I don't mean to threaten you (because after all, I don't think "Open
Source" is a trademark), but if push came to shove, who would a judge
say owns "Open Source"?  The Open Source Initiative, which has been
certifying licenses as Open Source, or Software in the Public
Interest?  Remember, your registration application expired without
action on your part.  Now you're talking about re-applying for a
trademark which as far as everyone can tell belongs to someone else.
This is not rational behavior.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com