Interest in getting more information how active this effort i s.

John van V. john_van_v at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 00:17:53 UTC 1999

Once again, Thanks for your email,

>Also the sega platform SH4 is about equal in performance to a original R5000.
That is good to hear, sonic and friends really run around on that thing.

>Also their is lot more legs in the MIPS architecture then the
> press.
:) Thats been a big part of the problem.  I found a great deal of difficulty
actually getting the information I needed, though I admit I failed to contact
MIPS.

My personal history was thus:
I first sought to build a tiny pc for much less than even the cheapest using
the Cyrix MediaGX pc-on-chip, I formed an alliance w/ Philips and two linux
vendors.  National Semiconductor, the Cyrix's then parent, announced big
problems in that division implying that development would end for the MediaGX.

While the MediaGX is history, the basic concept of thinclient is valid, just
not as originally intended.  Furthermore I feel that the original NC vendors
really failed to make their boxes cheaper than the pcs they were supposed to
replace and then made a step backwards by defying IBM's original open
architecture concept.

I have been in close contact with venture capitalists and more recently have
been given a "sig" by an official NY State board called The NY Software
Industry Association, http://www.nysia.org .  My commitment to the thinclient
for education and business has not wavered but I am rekindling the model to
include more public domain development; soft, hard and firm.  This guarantees
that the software will never be orphaned as long as the boxes are still made to
perform to the expections of the consumers.

Included in the second generation are perl and ggi compiled into a single linux
module.

> One thing you should look at MIPS IV and V instructions MIPS 3D and MDMX ASE
I would be very grateful if you could point me to the correct links and pages

> SiByte, Alchemy, TI, ATI Research, SandCraft. Also our
> Existing partners, Toshibia TX7900, QED RM7020, NEC MIPS64 20Kc and VR5464,
> IDT RISCore64600. The diversity of MicroArchitecture is going to make thing
> interesting in the coming year.

And their pages as well.

Lacking an existing motherboard to our spec we may be forced to design our own
but with the expectation of allowing manufacturers to build clones.

(100MB flash boot, 5-700Mhz CPU, 64-128 MB ram, 56K or cable modem (or other
comm), gigabit i/o for periphials , gaming level video)

> more good things to come.
Very nice

=====
John van Vlaanderen