berlin hosting .. ?

Darren O. Benham gecko at benham.net
Wed Oct 13 17:21:53 UTC 1999

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 11:22:30AM -0400, Graydon Hoare wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
>
> > Berlin is an SPI project.
>
> I'm curious, actually, what is meant by this, as it is also stated on the
> SPI pages; it's an ambiguous phrase. If SPI says we should code left, can
> we code right, or are we under a mandate to act a particular way as an SPI
> project? I don't mean to imply that I disagree with SPI's mandate, but I'd
> hate to find out someday that, for instance, I had been implicitly
> assigning copyrights on everything I write to some other organization or
> something.
Not quite... Legally, "Berlin" can't hold copyrights ro trademarks or
anything like that.  So the copyrights and such are in the authors name.
Debian didn't want any one person to hold the Debian Trademark, however, so
SPI was asked to hold it instead.  Also, some authors assign coyrights to
SPI for whatever reason (most likely incase they disappear or so they don't
have to worry about copyrights anymore) but that's not something SPI asks
for.  Same goes for property.. if someone donates a computer to "berlin"
it really belongs to you, or "john" or "joe" or someone in the project and
if that person decides to take berlin off and put something else on it
(Say, NT), there's not much berlin could do about it, legally.

SPI was also created so that people could donate money, equipment or
services to a project and have a tax write off.