Membership question

Nils Lohner lohner at ecf.teradyne.com
Wed Aug 23 07:53:18 UTC 2000

In message <20000823082738.O20681 at finlandia.infodrom.north.de>, Martin
Schulze
writes:
>Ed Boraas wrote:
>>  One quick question, though: are Debian maintainers entitled to
>> SPI membership automatically (ie., ex oficio)? If not, is there any
>> membership procedure established thus far, or is that still being
>> determined?
>
>That was the plan back in the old days.  IIRC it was agreed that this
>can't be done legally, thus whoever wants to be a member needs to apply
>on his own, implicit membership is not provided.  (afair)

  The current plan is to test the membership system with all of the debian
maintainers who are interested.  Automatic membership will not happen as
some developers did not want this.  So: debianers can apply and will receive
contributing memberships since they are evidently contributing to the
community.  After they have been processed and the system is working nicely,
we'll open it up to the general public.  IMO this is the best way to allow
us a ramp-up period where we can improve the system before allowing everyone
in.

Regards, Nils.