Pristine source archive

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho gaia at iki.fi
Mon Apr 15 17:38:53 UTC 2002

On 20020415T124625-0400, Dale E Martin wrote:
> Within the context of the original question, my point was simply that the
> GPL doesn't say "you have to keep the source on your own site".

Yes it does.

"If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
compelled to copy the source along with the object code."

(Or rather, it does not allow not having the source on your own site.)

> I can distribute (from
> pristine source) binaries and if someone wants source, I can say "I got
> them from http://www.giantsourcearchive.org, go get them there."

No, you can't, at least according to my reading of the GPL.

> IANAL, and don't even pretend to be one on email lists.  Disregard
> everything I say freely ;-)

Neither am I AL.

You should still read and understand the license.  That does not require
being AL.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, LuK (BSc)    * http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ * gaia at iki.fi