Next board meeting

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Dec 11 05:23:19 UTC 2002

Today's board meeting adjourned until 20:00 UTC 2002/12/10 failed to meet
quorum (Branden Robinson and Ean Schuessler were the only board members
who attended; Jimmy Kaplowitz, Ted Ts'o, David Graham, Scott Dier and
some others were also present (I wasn't)). It was again adjourned by
Branden Robinson to 20:00 UTC on 2002/12/17, who invited "[a]ll SPI
contributing members, and candidates for Board membership" to attend.

This message is to ensure the membership are aware of what's going on, and
Cc'ed to the board to ensure they're aware of what they're doing too [0].

In light of the apparent lack of organisation on the board's behalf,
I humbly submit the following agenda:

	(1) Report by officers on status of SPI
		(President: overall view on the direction the corporation
		 should take; Secretary: pending resolutions, membership
		 numbers; Treasurer: disposition of funds)

	(2) Removal (for cause) of non-participating board members
	    and officers; resignations by officers and board members
	    (Joey as Vice-President; others as appropriate)

	(3) Appointment of officers to vacated positions (Vice-President,
	    and any others necessary)

	(4) Acceptance of nominations to the board, and preparation for a vote
	    by the membership on whether to accept the nominations

	(5) Formation of a committee to consider changes to the by laws to
	    further the corporation's goals (eg, more membership
	    involvement, more effective interaction amongst the board)

	(6) Other issues still before the board
		(eCos membership? Tax writeoffs/OFTC? United Way? Sincere
		 Choice?)

	(7) Other business

If the board members who still have an interest in these areas would
care to prepare a text covering the issues in each area in advance,
that would probably serve to ensure the meeting is as brief an effective
as possible: eg, the officers' reports are probably most efficiently
presented as a brief (three or four sentence) summary and a URL.

I would also suggest that the meeting be adjourned if it has not finished
by 21:00 UTC, to ensure board members can adequately plan for the time
involved.

Is there anything else the board requires before it can do its job in the
manner we all expect?

Cheers,
aj

[0] <Hydroxide> hi joey. the meeting was adjourned for another week due
                to a lack of quorum
    <Joey> There was no meeting nor an agenda announced to the board.
    <Joey> I anticipate to be away next Tuesday
    <Hydroxide> Joey: that's because we don't have a functioning Secretary
    <Joey> Nah
    <Hydroxide> Joey: and nobody else picked up the slack
    <Joey> the secretary hasn't called for meetings for ages.
    <Hydroxide> Joey: anyway, it was mentioned on spi-general by anthony
                towns
    <Joey> no announce -> no meeting -> no quorum
    <Joey> board != spi-general
    <Hydroxide> Joey: true, but one would assume that board members read
                spi-general ... it is quite low-traffic, so it's not a
                burden
    <Joey> Hyd: No, you can't expect that.
    <Hydroxide> Joey: why not?
    <Joey> because it's not the board and it's not official and not
           mandatory
    <Joey> same as debian-private
    <Joey> or even debian-devel