pooling patents for progress and protection

Nick Phillips nwp at nz.lemon-computing.com
Mon Dec 30 11:42:44 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 11:17:23PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:

> This means that the patent pool agreement only needs to give every
> participant the ability to get an injunction on the use of technology
> from the pool's patents by any third party that doesn't have the
> rights to use the technology because of other agreements.

I guess another potential benefit would be that in all likelihood any
lobbying from the organisation as a whole for, say, shorter patents on
certain classes of invention (like software methods etc.) would likely
have more chance, as the "you're just bitter 'cos you don't have any"
argument wouldn't fly.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
You can rent this space for only $5 a week.