[debian-knoppix] Open accounting and Open source

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Mon Apr 28 00:22:04 UTC 2003

From: Mark Constable <markc at renta.net>
> My take: I would also like to contribute as well but I am not
> interested in GNOME and I quasi-resent Debians lack of installation
> efforts over the years.

So, the installer we're talking about is a rewrite of one I did in 1996,
I think, which was itself a rewrite of one that Ian Murdock did in
ancient time. I think they entirely replaced my code without
substantially changing the user interaction. So, I can see why you would
be frustrated.

However, there has been good work on installation this year.

> ** It is absolutely unreasonable to expect folks should become
> software engineers to be able to surf the web via linux. **

Who was asking them?

> The fact that Klaus is not a regular Debian developer and that
> Debian have not adopted the Knoppix installation procedure,
> as is, tells me there is some kind of technical AND political
> schism between the two.

I've not been involved, so I wouldn't know. And I've not tried the
installed Klaus did. But one thing to look out for is genrality.
The Knoppix installer can't necessarily address the problem space
that the Debian installer must handle.

> So I would like to put whatever meagre resources I can spare
> into the system I have confidence in sharing with other people
> and that happens to be Knoppix rather than Debian itself.

One of the best things you could do would be to figure out how to
merge the changes of Knoppix back into Debian. But you may have to
invest more time into becoming a packager to handle that.

	Thanks

	Bruce