Ties in Elections

Benj. Mako Hill mako at bork.hampshire.edu
Thu Feb 6 06:15:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 12:47:14AM -0500, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> While casting my vote for the 3 new board members, I noticed that the
> current voting procedure does not allow to explicitly express ties
> between candidates. I was told that Debian's Condorcet voting system
> does allow that, and I consider it a valuable option for voting. So
> maybe for the next election/vote this could be added?

I'm assuming that by "ties" you mean that you'd like to express equal
preference for two candidates. So something like, "I prefer X to Y and
Z (who I prefer equally) who I prefer to W." If so, this came up in
IRC at the beginning or immediately before the election began so
you're no the first person to request it.

Additionally, I would also appreciate seeing a "none of the above"
option in the next election.

Criticism aside, I've got a lot of faith in Condorcet and am glad to
see us electing board members in the way we do.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benj. Mako Hill
mako at bork.hampshire.edu
http://yukidoke.org/~mako/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS