Bylaws committee update

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Feb 7 02:08:50 UTC 2003

Hi,

I want to update the general membership on the progress of the Bylaws
Committee.  This report is not mandated anywhere and does not represent a
formal position of the committee, but I thought you may be interested in our
progress.

The bylaws revision committee was formed by a Board resolution [1] and
tasked with identifying weaknesses in the SPI bylaws and suggesting fixes to
be voted on at the general meeting in June.

Since the Board formally appointed [2] our members on January 25, we have
been deciding on procedures for conducting business as required.  We have
now completed that phase, with the results at [3] and [4].

We are now ready to look at bylaws to identify problems, tentatively using
the procedure at [5] (pending comments by committee members).  I would like
to make sure that the SPI membership is aware of this process, and to invite
comments from members on problem areas of the bylaws.  The more eyes we have
looking at things, especially in this phase, the more problems we can
discover.  Please send your reports of any areas in the bylaws that strike
you as problematic to the Bylaws list at spi-bylaws at lists.spi-inc.org.  This
list is public, and you are invited to subscribe and participate as well.

As mentioned in [5], we are not seeking debate on submissions at this time.
That will occur later, and details will be posted to the bylaws list.

Regards,
John Goerzen

P.S. the procedures in [5] may change if members of the committee object;
they have possibly not had the chance to review them yet.

[1] http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/resolution-2003-01-06.wta.2
[2] http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-announce/2003/000041.html
[3] http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-bylaws/2003/000011.html
[4] http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-bylaws/2003/000032.html