Ties in Elections

Manoj Srivastava srivasta at acm.org
Fri Feb 7 16:21:06 UTC 2003

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer <branden+spi-treasurer at deadbeast.net> writes:

 > Oh, certainly.  I agree that such an option permits an added degree of
 > expressiveness, which is a valuable thing.  My point was simply that I'm
 > not sure if this is a characteristic of the Condorcet Method per
 > se.

	Eh? Why wouldn't the "None of the above" option be yet another
 option as far as condorcet is concerned?

 > And any twiddle to the Condorcet method *might* vitiate some of its
 > desirable properties (one has to do some formal analysis to find out).

	I see. I suggest you check out debian-vote over the last few
 months, where this has been debated at length; Debian's current
 voting methods draft states that a default option ("further
 discussion" , nominally) exists unless otherwise stated -- and that
 means most votes shall indeed have a default option.

	manoj
--
If some day we are defeated, well, war has its fortunes, good and
bad. Commander Kor, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7