Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sat Feb 22 19:21:40 UTC 2003

Previously Lukas Geyer wrote:
> This is not a dispute but just a clarification request. I see some
> votes which list only one option. As I understood the voting
> guidelines, this effectively amounts to abstaining.

Correct.

> On the other hand, it is quite clear that the intent of those voters
> was different and that they probably did not understand the details of
> the voting procedure (or read the instructions...).

The instructions on the voting pages were pretty clear on that.

> I have no Condorcet voting software at hand to run the results through
> but I know some people have. Would it make a difference if those votes
> expressed a preference over all other candidates and did not affect
> the races between the others?

I suspect it will not make a difference, but I have not done a test
to confirm that. If you want to play with Condorcet voting you can use
the python script from http://www.electionmethods.org/ .

> Of course a similar question applies to all votes with less than 8
> options ranked. I don't think it would render this vote invalid but
> nevertheless I consider it an interesting question.

It might be interesting to see if that would change the result of the
vote; if so it might be educational for voters.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>           http://www.wiggy.net/
A random hacker