Result for vote regarding new members for the board of directors

Lukas Geyer lukas at debian.org
Sun Feb 23 06:02:57 UTC 2003

Peter Palfrader <weasel at spi-inc.org> writes:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:49:28AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Documenting a buggy interface isn't fixing the problem, and the
> > > obvious interpretation of the vote "------1-" or "G" is to rank
> > > Bruce above everyone else. For comparison, the latest drafts of
> > > the Debian voting mechanism say:
> >
> > This omits a useful option.  For instance, what if I do not feel
> > that I know enough about a given candidate and wish to express no
> > opinion whatsoever about that candidate?
>
> FWIW I've been asked how this very thing could be done during the
> vote by at least one voter.  So to assume that everyone who voted
> "XYZ" prefers them to everybody else might not be correct.

That might well be true but I fail to see how this applies to the
ballots ranking only one option. I do see that the SPI voting method
was correctly documented but I would like to have more flexibility,
maybe to be able to either prefer "no preference" for some candidate
and "equal preference" for some set of candidates. As a sidenote, the
explanation of Condorcet on

http://www.electionmethods.org/CondorcetEx.htm

does it in the (IMHO) intuitive way, that is non-ranked options are
implicitly ranked below ranked ones, and no preference is given
between them.

Lukas

--
This is not a signature