FW: Lawrence Lessig: Exclusive rights to stagnate

Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer branden+spi-treasurer at deadbeast.net
Fri Feb 28 17:47:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 07:25:02PM -0800, Lawrence E. Rosen wrote:
> This is a nice article.  I thought I'd pass it along....  /Larry Rosen
[...]
> http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1045510979794
>
> As pressure mounts on the European Parliament to extend patent
> protection to software, a crisis is developing in US patent law that
> Europe would do well to consider. The system in America is broken - to
> the great detriment of software developers generally - and there is no
> reason to believe the Europeans could do any better.

Mr. Rosen,

In the future, please CC spi-general at lists.spi-inc.org, not spi-board
with public information that may be of interest to our membership.

This furthers two goals:
1) it helps your message reach a broader audience; and
2) it reduces the annoyance level of those on spi-board who want the
   traffic level on that list to remain low.

Thanks for passing that along; I had already read it, and as usual
Professor Lessig is scintillating.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson, Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.