[bdale@gag.com: Handling donations to Debian outside the USA]

Peter Vandenabeele peter.vandenabeele at mind.be
Fri Feb 28 17:58:29 UTC 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:49:16PM -0500, Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer wrote:
> I am seeking volunteers to participate in this discussion.  I personally
> do not have much knowledge of international financial transactions.
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson, Treasurer
> Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
> treasurer at spi-inc.org
> http://www.spi-inc.org/

> To: spi-board at lists.spi-inc.org
> Cc: csurchi at debian.org
> Subject: Handling donations to Debian outside the USA
> From: Bdale Garbee <bdale at gag.com>
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:38:03 -0700
>
> Christian Surchi just caught me on IRC to ask about this message that he
> addressed to SPI in early August last year, regarding the handling of funds
> donated to Debian in Italy.  Unfortunately, he never got a reply.

I responded to a similar question that in Europe, as of 1 July 2003 all money
transfers (private and businesses) between members of the EURO, will be at the
same tarif as a "national" transfer, that is a cost of approx. 0.10 to 0.20 EURO.

That reduces the need to optimize within individual countries for the specific
reason of avoiding inter-European transfer costs. You may have other reasons of
course.

Peter