Board Meeting Reminder for Tue Jan 7th, 20:00 UTC

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jan 7 08:38:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 12:28:26PM -0500, Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer wrote:
> You also appeared to be indulging in bellyaching about a past thing
> which is in no one's power to fix.

You're mistaken. No one has the power to change what happened,
obviously. It can, however, be fixed by the board addressing the issues
it has failed to in the last quarter, and by not making the same mistakes
again.

For your reference, the SPI secretary has already declaimed Drew's
automated notifications as being official announcements of meetings and
indicated that meetings that have not been more formely announced have
not actually been called, and, as far as I am aware has not withdrawn
that opinion.

> I welcome your continued contributions; I just wish you could make them
> without an accompanying prognostication of disaster.

Odd; I thought, and upon rereading stil think, that that's what I'd done.

> We need objectivity, not knee-jerk optimism nor knee-jerk pessimism.

How about avoiding knee-jerk defensiveness too?

For reference, there's no requirement to get through all the items on an
agenda at the meeting: the meeting can be adjourned and continued later,
or items can be deferred until the next scheduled meeting. Further,
there's no reason why the details of most of those options can not have
been already analysed outside of the meeting, and be resolved quickly
at the meeting, just as you won't be preparing your report during the
meeting itself. In trying to list all the outstanding items on the SPI
board's agenda, I wasn't trying to either overload you or get you to
demonstrate superhuman abilities.

So, now you have an apology and a defense. What more do you want?

Cheers,
aj

    ``Australian Linux Lovefest Heads West''
                   -- linux.conf.au, Perth W.A., 22nd-25th January 2003