[draft] Proposed resolution 2003-01-06.wta.2

Branden Robinson / SPI Treasurer branden+spi-treasurer at deadbeast.net
Tue Jan 7 16:22:15 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 11:27:07AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I suggest that it would be better to add some text describing what we
> want the committee to fix.

Not if we want a standing committee; the existing proposal doesn't
address that, however.

> How about adding two paragraphs here
> saying:
>
>  b. In particular, the Committee is directed to consider
>
>   i. The changes needed to make SPI a membership-controlled, rather
>     than Board-controlled organisation, including:
>          * Election of the Board by the Membership
>          * Recall of (members of) the Board
>
>   ii. Specific authorisation for the Board (and other similar bodies
>     established by the bylaws or otherwise) to regulate their conduct,
>     including to give explicitly the power to determine other methods
>     of passing resolutions than by meeting.
>
>   iii. Other clarifications and improvements that may be helpful.
>
>  c. The Board suggests to the Committee that it not suggest changes to
>   the bylaws which are motivated directly by recent lack of quoracy at
>   Board meetings, as there is no consensus that changes to the bylaws
>   are the correct solution to this problem.
>
> (Put `a.' in front of the existing first paragraph of `Purpose'.)

I second b. but not c.  The committee can suggest whatever it likes.
Certain people on spi-general have been quite loud about how they feel
the by-laws shouldn't be amended to address the Board's quorum problem.
I think the by-laws committee should be permitted to make its own
determination as to whether amendments to the by-laws are the proper
medicine for this problem, and not be steered one way or the other on
the issue.

If certain Board members don't want the by-laws amended to address
meeting quorum problems, I suggest those Board members attend the
meetings for a change, and thereby attenuate the impetus for making any
such amendments.

--
G. Branden Robinson, Treasurer
Software in the Public Interest, Inc.